Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bon Jovi

We saw Bon Jovi and his band today at the New Chitose Airport in Sapporo. Here's the story: We were sitting at our terminal waiting to board the plane to Tokyo; my mom was playing electronic sudoku and I was watching the Final Fantasy movie on my PSP.

All of a sudden a long train of white people started to come by. There were a large number of western gaijin in the airport already so I didn't really make much of it at first. We had also seen a white guy with a guitar walk by about 10 minutes earlier.

My mom commented that it must be a rock band. As the group started to pass, this guy walked by with sun glasses and a leather jacket. My mom and I looked up and made eye contact with the guy. He turned his head and looked at us for a second and then kept walking. I heard him comment about there being a lot of stairs in the airport to the guy next to him.

After they left my mom said, "I know them from somewhere." I said that the guy with glasses looked like Bon Jovi. My mom didn't believe me and kept denying the likeness until two Japanese girls walked towards the end of the parade with Bon Jovi shirts on.

Afterwards I couldn't help but laugh that my mom and I are the worst Americans in the world! Here was Bon Jovi just feet away, looking towards us, the only white people in the area, for some classic rock star-sighting reaction, only to get the cold shoulder. My mom and I literally looked up, made eye contact with Bon Jovi, and then went back to our entertainment as if nothing special had happened.

Maybe I should have charged after him and had him sign my PSP - or my chest.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we arrived in Shingawa for our last night before I leave for Kyoto. Shingawa should be called Gaijin Land. Now I know where all Hokkaido's gaijin went. All you have to do is walk down the streets here to see tons of white people. Also, the convience store right by our hotel is a total rip off because it caters to foreigners. Our hotel, while being western, is also a total gaijin breeding ground; they're all over the place and even part of the hotel staff here is white.

Have a nice day!

B.E.W.

No comments: