Sunday, April 16, 2006


Here was my lunch at the Hakodate Beer Hall Restaurant in the tourist dock area. It is ikura donburi. Donburi refers to any number of things sprinkled over rice - ikura is the orange salmon eggs. Hokkaido is famous in general for seafood. Hakodate is famous in particular for ikura and ika (squid). I just had to sample the ikura while I was there. The waitress bought me this big vat of fish eggs and I got to scoop as many scoops as I wanted myself on top of my rice (they charged per scoop of ikura). This bowl represents two scoops! I could have gone for more, but I didn't want to seem like a glutton. I also had the two beers seen here. The red one is the brewery's famous "red brick beer" and the lighter pilsner is a secret recepie from the Meiji era. The Meiji beer was better.

No comments: