Sunday, May 14, 2006

If Aliens Made Music

This Sunday afternoon my host mom and I went to an exhibition of student composed music at Kyoto Univeristy. My host mom told me it was going to be classical music. It wasn't. I left after the second piece - I couldn't take anymore. The show was not only a musical atrocity, it was a human atrocity as well. I could spend a lot of words trying to describe how awful the compositions were, but you really have to hear it for yourself. Since no recording devices were allowed in the theater, I took the liberty of recreating the second piece I heard yesterday in the sound file below. The only difference is the lyrics. Instead of "Ben is," the female singer sang "Alice is," in English in varying intonations during the actual performance. Listen and cringe. As sad as it may be, this is not a joke, this is the type of music I was subjected to.

B.E.W.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

New musical genre! Right here!

I love your blog Ben, I read it every day.