Friday, January 23, 2009

Mount Aso (阿蘇山)

Located about one hour from Kumamoto City in the same prefecture, Mount Aso is the largest active volcano in Japan and one of the largest in the world.

Aso is actually a caldera, or an inverse-shaped cauldron-like volcano formed by the collapse of land following a gigantic eruption. Its circular shape is made up of five distinct peaks; the complete circumference is approximately 120 kilometers (75 miles).

Because Naka-dake (the active peak pictured below) constantly spews out CO2 and SO2 laden poisonous volcanic gas, tourists with lung problems are urged not to visit the edge of the crater. I threw caution to the wind and brought my weak asthmatic body face-to-face with Aso's gurgling underbelly. I took a giant whiff of death and lived to blog about it.

Actually, workers constantly monitor the sulfur levels being emitted from Aso, and will close access to the crater at a moment's notice, should the levels read too high or the wind direction change.

I ended my time in Aso with a trip to the nearby hot spring district. Many local establishments use the superheated volcanic waters of Aso as a source for their baths. I don't know if you can really call the small place I went to an "onsen." It was really just the converted basement of a sweet lady's house. In any event, her giant single occupancy wine barrel shaped wooden bathtub was wonderful. I've decided I want one of these in my future home, wherever that may be.

We chitchatted a bit about onsen as I readied to leave (after I had put clothes on that is). I was able to namedrop Dogo Onsen here in Matsuyama and mention that I had bathed there. She was impressed, just as I knew she would be.

B.E.W.

No comments: