Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Views of Kumamoto Castle (熊本城)

Kumamoto Castle celebrated its 400th anniversary last year, though I guess this is technically cheating since the main castle keep is a concrete reconstruction built in 1960.

Kumamoto is one of Japan's three famous castles. Rounding out the list are Himeji Castle in Hyogo Prefecture and Matsumoto Castle in Nagano Prefecture.

Kumamoto Castle has also been popularly nicknamed "karasu-jo" or "crow castle" due to its mostly jet black exterior.

I was told by a Japanese friend that visitors (yes, even gaijin!) can purchase a piece of Kumamoto Castle for a mere 10,000 Yen (one hundred dollars). Apparently, the prefecture started the fundraising stunt due to an inability to finance the castle's upkeep.

I was told that buying a piece means your name goes somewhere - too bad I didn't know about this when I visited. A hundred smackers to get a personalized rock or roof tile? I could have brought a Sharpie and created one for free!

B.E.W.

No comments: