Friday, March 27, 2009

Naruto Whirlpools (鳴門の渦潮)



I include this stock internet photo so that you can experience what I did not - the elusive Naruto Whirlpools.

Located about one hour from Tokushima by bus, Naruto is a sparsely developed, sleepy little city whose sole claim to fame is its whirlpool system located in the Naruto Strait.

My tourist pamphlet said that, at their peak intensity, the whirlpools can reach a speed of 20 km per hour and some have a diameter of 20 meters. Needless to say, during my sightseeing boat ride, I would have been lucky to see a swirl one meter in diameter.

As I learned, whirlpool visibility is heavily influenced by the daily tidal cycle. Thus, there are recommended time windows during which one should view the pools (usually one hour before / after high and low tide). I made sure to get on the boat during my day's optimum viewing time.

Unfortunately, beyond just the simple ebb and flow of the tide, the whirlpools seem to only start whirling at their pamphlet cover level intensity during either a new moon or a full moon.

All of this basically means that one needs a doctorate in earth systems in order to plan a successful Naruto Whirlpool viewing.

The tour guides are nice enough to warn you about a "weak day" as you buy your tickets and climb on board. "Weak" is being a bit generous. I was unable to make out anything that resembled a whirlpool.

Still, I enjoyed the boat ride...and the fact that if you turn a faucet in Naruto, you can drink Pocari Sweat!

B.E.W.

1 comment:

Tony Mariani said...

That is something I want to experience myself as I grew up at the shore, I love the ocean. Understanding the ebb's and flow's of tides is not that hard. The moon has a gravitational affect on the oceans. The closer to earth, the stronger the pull and the shallower to shore the tide is (the moon pulls the water out to sea). The further away, the less the pull and the deeper to shore the tide is. The differences in the depth's gives the currents more ability to happen, where the middle currents come to a more settled state.