Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Born in the U.S.A. (アメ村)

I've never wandered around the Puyallup Fair high on LSD, but I imagine if I did, it would probably be a lot like a trip to Amerika Mura.

Amerika Mura (American Village), or "Ame-mura" for short, is Osaka's answer to Harajuku. This is the place where one goes to watch Japanese kids decked out in the "latest" fashion trends. In this context, the adjective "latest" can best be defined as, "comprehension defying".

Honestly, I don't think I could create an outfit as crazy as these kids, even if I spent hours rummaging through my entire wardrobe and selected only the most nonsensical items.

After thoroughly roaming the streets of Ame-mura, I am confident that there is literally NO possible way to create a fashion faux pas in Japan.

Neon green and pink plastic jacket over a Cookie Monster tank-top?

Fine by me!

Eggplant purple Converse, knee-high yellow striped socks, and a kilt?

Did that last week!

Fashion combinations in Amerika Mura are truly only limited by what the mind can dream up while under the influence. It is actually a bit empowering to watch so many people strut about with no apparent understanding of how utterly bizarre they look. At least it would be, were these styles not the epitome of high fashion the world over.

I was happily enjoying my stifled laughter and scoffs, when it dawned on me. Here, in this environment, it was ME, with my department store jeans and pink polo shirt, that was the odd one out. No doubt the Japanese kids were watching ME, scoffing, and wondering why this white boy was wearing such plain threads.

This realization prompted two distinct responses inside me.

First, it made me fear for our human race as a whole.

Second, it made me desperately want to find my puke green "Attack of the Giant Slug" sweatshirt from elementary school. That thing's bound to be art gallery material around these parts!

B.E.W.

No comments: