Friday, September 01, 2006

In Memoriam

The Japanese have a phrase “osewa ni natte orimasu,” which roughly translates into “I am indebted to you.” People may be indebted to others for the knowledge or mentorship they have received. Sometimes, people are even indebted to others for their very chance at life. This is my case.

I have had asthma as long as I can remember; a result of my three month premature birth 22 years ago. It is with great sadness and immeasurable thanks that I mourn the passing of my lifetime asthma doctor and friend Gail Shapiro M.D.

Dr. Shapiro was my asthma doctor from the time I was an infant, following me through ER hospitalizations, surgeries, changes in medication, and my first trip abroad, always caring that I was healthy and showing concern whenever anything went wrong. It is because of her that my asthma is now under control (due to the right combination of medication) and that I am healthy and mobile.

Beyond health, Dr. Shapiro always took an interest in me personally, and true to form, she asked me to tell her about my adventures in Japan when I came back to America.

Though I will never have a chance to do that, I hope that wherever you are, you know how thankful I am for the gift that you have given me Dr. Shapiro; the gift of a healthy life.

いつもお世話になっております。どうもありがとうございました。

Ben Whaley

No comments: